[Lingtyp] When-clauses and while-clauses

Jesus Francisco Olguin Martinez olguinmartinez at ucsb.edu
Wed Dec 2 00:10:34 UTC 2020

Dear all,

I hope this email finds you doing well.

I send you this message because I am currently working on a paper on
*when*-clauses
and *while*-clauses. In particular, I am exploring languages in which
*when*-relations
and *while*-relations are expressed by means of ‘complementation
strategies’ involving ‘perception predicates’. These are constructions that
have not been syntacticized into a truly complement clause: ‘We saw while a
bus came…’ (lit. While a bus came, we saw it…). This type of
construction may gradually become an argument of a ‘perception predicate’
and serve as a complement clause (Schmidtke-Bode 2014: 262).

Any readings and/or examples from languages will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you very much in advance.

Jesús Olguín Martínez
Ph.D. Candidate, Dept. of Linguistics
*University of California, Santa Barbara (UCSB)*
http://www.linguistics.ucsb.edu/people/jesús-olguín-martínez