[Lingtyp] syntactic construction formula

Siva Kalyan sivakalyan.princeton at gmail.com
Sun Dec 20 23:50:46 UTC 2020

Why not take inspiration from autosegmental phonology, and have the Adv on a separate "tier"? Then in particular instantiations, you could have an association line between the Adv and a placeholder element that is either before the NP, between the NP and VP, or after the VP.

The disadvantage of this is that it would reify the idea of free word order, rather than making it clear that it’s just a representation of our ignorance of the true conditioning factors.

Siva