[Lingtyp] Contrastive vowel and consonant length?

Sebastian Nordhoff sebastian.nordhoff at glottotopia.de
Mon Dec 21 09:10:05 UTC 2020

On 12/20/20 6:49 PM, Hurch, Bernhard (bernhard.hurch at uni-graz.at) wrote:
> Dear Florian,
>
> in a line with Pier Marco's remark: hasen't there been quite some
> agreement in the last 2-3 decades to analyze quantity as a prosodic,
> rather than as a segmental feature?

I was thinking that as well. In Sri Lanka Malay, you have phonetic
length distinctions in both vowels and consonants. A word can only have
one long "segment". There are possible analyses to derive consonant
length from underlying vowel length, or the other way round.
Instead of arguing for underlying vowel length or underlying consonant
length, one can posit a minimal foot requirement (and ban schwa from
lengthening) and then everything falls into place.

I seem to remember that in many languages, there are positional
restrictions on where you can have V: or C:, but I am not a phonologist.

Hypothesizing a bit, if indeed lengthening is a result of
prosodic/metrical requirements, one could ask whether minimal
foot/syllable/word constraints are more easily
satisfied/producible/perceivable via the lengthening of a vocalic or a
consonantal segment, if both would be available in principle. If there
was some predisposition in humans for one or the other, we might find a
distribution difference in the languages of the world.

Best wishes
Sebastian