[Lingtyp] morpheme -> empty morph -> epenthetic formative?

Gilles Authier gilles.authier at gmail.com
Tue Feb 4 07:04:19 UTC 2020

Hi Adam,

East Caucasian (aka Nakh-Daghestanian) language inflect nouns from a so
called "oblique stem" which often but not always corresponds to the
ergative case (or , in Kryz only, to the genitive). Very often also this
stem has lost any autonomy synchronically. The situation varies enormously
across languages and branches. Avar language is famous for its variety of
stem formations, including apophony.
The only overview I am aware of was a presentation by late A. E. Kibrik at
IMM in Vienna ten years ago, but it was a powerpoint and not published
afterwards. Maybe his disciples have some copy of it, or maybe Johanna
Nichols (cc) does. Among his findings, I remember that he cited Khinalug, a
single-language-branch which probably emerged as a mixed language, had lost
oblique stems altogether, suggesting that this "useless" (morphomic ?) type
of morphology is difficult in language acquisition.

GA