[Lingtyp] The (ab)use of the term "theory" in (generative) linguistics

Bernat Bardagil Mas bardagil at berkeley.edu
Tue Feb 11 12:17:34 UTC 2020

There is another sense of theory, that I have not yet seen discussed here,
which corresponds to the shall we say technical sense of the word, with a
meaning of "a set of tested explanations of a phenomenon" (as in the film
title A Theory of Everything). The word is used quite a bit in that sense
in the (transformational) generative framework, and that gives us things
like case theory, or how someone might propose their theory of inverse
agreement in language L. I wouldn't call that an abuse.

Bernat

- -
Bernat Bardagil
Postdoctoral researcher