[Lingtyp] Typological survey of pro-drop

Haspelmath, Martin haspelmath at shh.mpg.de
Fri Feb 14 08:15:14 UTC 2020

It seems that the most important contributions to these questions are still Siewierska (2004: "Person") and Dryer (2005) (his WALS chapter on the expression of pronominal subjects; here's the 2013 version: https://wals.info/chapter/101).

It's actually a bit embarrassing that there is so little worldwide research on this – but it illustrates the fact that while typological research is in high demand, there are few people who are actually doing it.

But of course, there are also the big conceptual problems that contiue to haunt us – here, the fact that "pro-drop" is an English-based stereotype that does not really translate into a clear typological parameter. Should we say that the subject is "dropped" in a Spanish sentence like "vien-es?" ("Are you coming?), where the suffix "-es" expresses the 2nd person subject? This seems Anglocentric. (More about this here: https://dlc.hypotheses.org/1340)

But regardless of what exactly we mean by "dropping", these core questions need to be studied further if we want an unbiased understanding of the world's grammars.

Best,
Martin