[Lingtyp] Proto-World explains universals

Mark Donohue mhdonohue at gmail.com
Thu Jan 23 12:24:32 UTC 2020

The idea that structural features within Austronesian change once every
50,000 years is … not strongly supported by the data. To pick on just a
couple of features, the languages attest no agreement on the verb
(Proto-Austronesian), nominative-accusative agreement (Southeast Sulawesi),
just Nominative (various locations)Nominative-Active (Nusa Tenggara Timor),
Stative-Active (Maluku), and then down to none again (Polynesia).
Clausal word order is verb-initial, then SVO, some SOV, more SVO, and more
verb-initial.
Possessive affixes are suffixal, except when they're prefixal, or attached
to separate possessive classifiers.
These aren't features with exceptional turn-over, in this family. Literally
any feature shows so many states that you cannot characterise the family,
phonologically or morphosyntactically (other than a vague tendency to stay
head-initial). This is quite unlike other families, as Donohue and Denham
(to appear) demonstrate.
And the family is less than 50,000 years old (as are all families we know
of, of course), so it's hard to see how "just once about every 50,000 years"
can be advanced as a serious proposal.

A slightly-relevant aside on bottlenecks: the eruption of Mt. Toba ca
75,000 years ago is the (pre)historical event that is most likely relevant.
This was a volcanic event that nearly wiped out life on earth, such
that "today's
humans are descended from a very small population of between 1,000 and
10,000 breeding pairs".

-Mark Donohue

1. Donohue, Mark, and Tim Denham. To appear (2020?). Becoming Austronesian:
mechanisms of language dispersal across Indo-Malaysia. In Antoinette
Schapper, David Gil and John McWhorter, eds, *Austronesian undressed*.
Canberra: Pacific Linguistics.

2. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toba_catastrophe_theory