[Lingtyp] Ironic negative constructions

Mark W. Post markwpost at gmail.com
Sat Jan 25 04:45:14 UTC 2020

This is also found in Trans-Himalayan languages, for example in the Tani
group, I’ve written about it a bit in my grammar of Galo around p. 648 and
in a 2015 paper

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/1606822X15569168

(Sorry, as I’m travelling at the moment I can’t give the exact refs)

...and I’ve attested the same thing in Adi but haven’t written anything
about it yet.

Also, and although I don’t have a good handle on it there’s also an
emphatic copula in the neighbouring Indo-Aryan language Assamese which has
the form of a negated copula, if needed I could come up with examples.

This seems to be part of the same family of phenomena as when e.g. English
speakers say (or used to say) “bad” to mean “good”, so I’m also curious a)
whether there’s a superordinate label to describe the semantic move, and b)
whether “ironic negative” is the most widespread term for this use of
verbal/clausal negation.

Thanks
Mark