[Lingtyp] HELP for Endangered Legacy Collections

Lindsey, Kate klindsey at bu.edu
Fri Jul 17 17:05:52 UTC 2020

Dear all,

Jorge Emilio Rosés Labrada (cc’ed) and I are leading this new program below, and we thought some of you may be interested! Please let us know if have any questions.

Kate

HELP for Endangered Legacy Collections
A project sponsored by CELP and led by Kate Lindsey (klindsey at bu.edu) and Jorge Emilio Rosés Labrada (jrosesla at ualberta.ca)

HELP for Endangered Legacy Collections is a new initiative from within the Committee on Endangered Languages and their Preservation (CELP) to assist in the digitization, archiving, and processing of endangered language data. This initiative attempts to tackle two concerns within our field: (1) the fact that many senior researchers nearing retirement need assistance in digitizing, archiving and processing their legacy collections of endangered language data and (2) the fact that there is an increasing number of graduate students who wish to undertake work on endangered languages but are not able to collect their own data due to a variety of reasons, e.g., travel restrictions (especially in the wake of the current global pandemic), lack of funding, family obligations, health concerns, and so on. Click here<https://www.linguisticsociety.org/content/help-endangered-legacy-collections> to learn more and fill out an interest survey to participate in the pilot phase of this new initiative.