[Lingtyp] ICLDC 7: Frequently Asked Questions concerning CfP

Bradley McDonnell mcdonn at hawaii.edu
Tue Jul 21 04:51:44 UTC 2020

(Apologies for cross-posting)
Recognizing RelationshipsThe 7th International Conference on Language
Documentation & Conservation (ICLDC)University of Hawai‘i at MānoaMarch
4-7, 2021

The Executive Committee of the 7th International Conference on Language
Documentation & Conservation <http://ling.lll.hawaii.edu/sites/icldc/>
(ICLDC 7) has put together this FAQ to address questions that we have
received concerning our Call for Workshops and Talk Story sessions
<http://ling.lll.hawaii.edu/sites/icldc/call-for-proposals/workshops-talk-story-sessions/>
*(deadline
August 1, 2020)* and our General Session Call for Papers
<http://ling.lll.hawaii.edu/sites/icldc/call-for-proposals/papers-posters/>
*(deadline
September 30, 2020)* as well as questions regarding Registration
<http://ling.lll.hawaii.edu/sites/icldc/registration/> fees. The Executive
Committee will continue to update this FAQ and our website as more
information becomes available.

Frequently Asked Questions for ICLDC 7

   1.

   What is the schedule for ICLDC 7 going to be like? How will ICLDC 7
   accommodate presenters and participants from different time zones?

The ICLDC Executive Committee aims to make the conference as accessible as
possible to as many different people as possible. So, we are planning to
have a staggered schedule with two blocks each day of the conference. That
is, we will hold a morning block in Hawai‘i, which will be convenient for
participants from the Americas, Europe, Africa, and potentially Australia,
and an evening block in Hawai‘i, which will be convenient for Asia,
Australia, Europe, and Africa. While this schedule provides additional
challenges for the conference organizers, we hope that it will encourage
broad international participation. We feel that holding ICLDC7 virtually is
an opportunity for many people to present and attend the conference. We do
not want the schedule to prevent anyone from attending.

   1.

   What are the different options for presenting at ICLDC 7?

We plan to have many of the same presentation formats at ICLDC that we’ve
had in the past. These presentation formats include the following:

   -

   Paper presentations
   -

   Poster presentations
   -

   Talk Story sessions
   -

   Workshops

Descriptions of each of these formats are discussed in detail below. At
ICLDC 7, we do not plan on having a Technology Showcase or an Electronic
poster presentation. We encourage those interested in these formats to
submit poster or paper presentations.

   1.

   What is the format for the Paper presentations?

To allow for as many presentations as possible, we have decided that all
20-minute paper presentations will be pre-recorded and uploaded to a
platform (to be announced) a few weeks before the beginning of the
conference. Conference participants will then have an opportunity to watch
presentations before the beginning of the conference. During the conference
itself, each paper presentation will be given scheduled time for questions
and discussion synchronously over Zoom (details of the discussion period
will be announced in October 2020). We are also exploring different ways of
encouraging interaction asynchronously (e.g., by posting comments and
questions) or synchronously throughout the conference.

   1.

   What is the format for Poster presentations?

To allow for as many poster presentations as possible, posters will be
uploaded as a PDF a few weeks prior to the beginning of the conference.
Poster presenters will have the option of uploading an accompanying 10
minute audio/video recording walking participants through the poster.
Poster presenters will also have the opportunity to interact with
participants at a scheduled time during the conference.

   1.

   What is the format for Workshops?

Workshops will be held synchronously over Zoom. They are 90-minute
sessions, offered twice throughout the conference. They will be led by an
expert/experienced instructor and are meant to be instructional in nature.
To get a better idea of Workshops offered in the past, please see the
descriptions here
<https://icldc6.weebly.com/talk-story-sessions--workshop-information.html>.
See the Call for Workshop proposals
<http://ling.lll.hawaii.edu/sites/icldc/call-for-proposals/workshops-talk-story-sessions/>
for more information.

   1.

   What is the format for Talk Story sessions?

Talk Story sessions will be held synchronously over Zoom. They are
90-minute sessions that will be repeated three times throughout the
conference. They will be led by an expert/experienced discussant. Talk
Story sessions are meant to be fully interactive for participants, rather
than a one-directional presentation of information. Because of this,
participation will be limited to 20 people. To get a better idea of Talk
Story sessions offered in the past, please see the descriptions here
<https://icldc6.weebly.com/talk-story-sessions--workshop-information.html>.
See the Call for Talk Story session proposals
<http://ling.lll.hawaii.edu/sites/icldc/call-for-proposals/workshops-talk-story-sessions/>
for more information.

   1.

   Will ICLDC 7 be charging a registration fee?

Yes, ICLDC 7 will charge a tiered registration fee, based on participants’
locations and affiliations, to offset some of the costs of hosting the
conference. For a breakdown of registration fees, click here
<http://ling.lll.hawaii.edu/sites/icldc/registration/>.

--
Bradley McDonnell
Assistant Professor, Department of Linguistics, University of Hawai'i at