[Lingtyp] Verb-like nominal inflection

David Gil gil at shh.mpg.de
Tue Jul 21 15:36:41 UTC 2020

Ian,

As stated, your query is probably too broad and needs to be narrowed
down somewhat.  Off the top of my head I can think of several examples
where "nouns can be inflected like verbs", but none of them are much
like each other or like Galela.

1. In Hebrew, the present tense of the verb, historically a participial
form, agrees with its subject in number and gender using precisely the
same forms, e.g.

Hayeladim oxlim
DEF:child:PLM eat:PRS:PLM

where the PLM suffix is -im for both noun and verb.

2. In Indonesian, reduplication marks plurality on both nouns and verbs
(where for verbs it can be interpreted either as iterativity or as
marking the plurality of an associated argument).

3. In Roon (SHWNG, Austronesian), nouns and verbs are indexed for
person, number and animacy using the exact same markers, the only
difference being that for nouns, the index occurs on an enclitic article
=ya whereas for verbs it occurs on the verb stem itself, e.g.

Bunmuya mura
woman:2DU:DEF 2DU:go
'You two women are going'

where it's the same 2nd person dual prefix mu- marking both the article
-ya and the verb -ra.  (Note that this is not a case of agreement, as in
the Hebrew above, because in Roon, the subject and the verb don't have
to agree.)

But you probably mean something more specific than this, I'm guessing ...

David