[Lingtyp] Verb-like nominal inflection

NAM Deokhyun devon_coast373 at toki.waseda.jp
Tue Jul 21 23:20:06 UTC 2020

Dear Ian and all,

Isn't it possible to interpret that yo- in Ian's example of Galela is used
either as an S/A bound pronoun or as a possessor bound pronoun? In Ainu as
well, for example, S/A bound pronouns and possessor bound pronouns have an
identical paradigm:

k-ek (1SG-come) 'I come'
k-aki (1SG-younger brother) 'my younger brother'
e-ek (2SG-come) 'you come'
e-aki (2SG-younger brother) 'your younger brother'

Other languages in which a (partially or wholly) identical paradigm is used
for S/A bound pronouns and possessor bound pronouns are discussed in
Dixon(Basic Linguistic Theory vol.2, 2010, Oxford University Press)'s
chapter on possession, according to which it seems to be a
cross-linguistically common phenomenon.

So, it seems to me that the syncretism may lie in bound pronouns rather
than in words in such cases (their meanings are distinct: subject (or
object) and possessor, if they have an identical form).

A recent discussion about the class flexibility of noun and verb is found
in "Morphology in Typology" by Johanna Nichols (In: The Cambridge Handbook
of Morphology, 2016, Cambridge University Press, 710-742), with a lot of