[Lingtyp] Lexical semantics of 'know/believe/think'-type verbs

Anna Sjöberg anna.sjoberg at ling.su.se
Wed Jul 22 08:07:47 UTC 2020

Hi,

This happens to be more or less the subject of my ongoing thesis project (the semantics of knowledge ascription terms). To the best of my knowledge, there is no comprehensive typology of the area, but some references that I have found interesting are:

As mentioned, within the NSM framework, there has been a lot of work, in particular

Wierzbicka, A. (2018). I Know: A Human Universal. In: Stich et al (eds.) Epistemology for the Rest of the WorldOxford University Press. https://www.oxfordscholarship.com/view/10.1093/oso/9780190865085.001.0001/oso-9780190865085-chapter-10
Goddard, C. (2003). Thinking across languages and cultures: Six dimensions of variation. Cognitive Linguistics, 14(2–3). https://doi.org/10.1515/cogl.2003.005
Goddard, C. (2010). Universals and Variation in the Lexicon of Mental State Concepts. Oxford University Press. http://www.oxfordscholarship.com/view/10.1093/acprof:oso/9780195311129.001.0001/acprof-9780195311129-chapter-5

The East Cree paper (and the 2003 Goddard paper) were part of a special issue of Cognitive Linguistics (14:2-3, 2003) with several interesting papers.

Perhaps not quite what you're looking for but nevertheless very interesting is
Fortescue, M. (2001). Thoughts about thought. Cognitive Linguistics, 12(1). https://doi.org/10.1515/cogl.12.1.15

Machery, E., Stich, S., Rose, D., Chatterjee, A., Karasawa, K., Struchiner, N., Sirker, S., Usui, N., & Hashimoto, T. (2018). Gettier Was Framed! in Stich et al (eds.) Epistemology for the Rest of the World. Oxford University Press. https://www.oxfordscholarship.com/view/10.1093/oso/9780190865085.001.0001/oso-9780190865085-chapter-7
is more philosophically oriented, but contains some very brief discussion of Bengali making the same equation of knowing and believing as you mention (which seems quite rare, but not completely unheard of).

Best wishes,
Anna Sjöberg
PhD Student
Department of Linguistics, Stockholm University