[Lingtyp] Innovation of functional categories

Adam Singerman adamsingerman at uchicago.edu
Tue Jun 16 17:22:44 UTC 2020

Dear Juergen,

Tuparí has resultative and evidential morphology that lacks clear
cognates in related languages within the Tupían family; as far as I
know, the closest relatives to Tuparí (Sakurabiát/Mekens, Akuntsú,
Makurap, Wayoró) don't have anything comparable. It is probable that
this resultative and evidential morphology developed due to
multilingual contact but since the other languages from the Rio Branco
region (southern Rondônia, near the Brazil-Bolivia border) are
generally quite underdocumented, we can't convincingly point to
contact as the explanation. I have an article on this in the July 2019
issue of IJAL (can send you the PDF if you want).

All the best,
Adam