[Lingtyp] questions about adverbs

"Ekkehard König" koenig at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Wed Jun 17 12:22:18 UTC 2020

Dear Aminata,

I have never seen adverbs of this kind before. Incidentally, I think the
term "degree adverb" would be a good designation. In English and European
languages upgrading expressions of this kind are usually called
'BOOSTERS'.

Even though very different, your data remind me of the formation of
adjectival compounds in Germanic languages (ice-cold, crystal clear,
pitch-black, etc.). These are certainly based on comparisons, but spelling
out the comparison might no longer make sense. I haven given you some
English examples, but the phenomenon is much more wide-spread in German.
Here are a few examples, with literal translations into English:
bärenstark 'bear-strong', hundemüde 'dog-tired', brühwarm 'broth-warm',
sauschlecht 'sow-bad', stockdunkel 'stickdark', etc. What is similar to
your cases is that each adjective takes a different noun as booster, even
though some may come to be used for several adjectives.
(cf. Koenig, E. (2017) "The comparative basis of identification". In: M.
Napoli & M. Ravetto (eds.) Exploring Intensification. Amsterdam:
Benjamins.)

So, here is a potentially related phenomenon, though not exactly what you
are looking for.

Very best,

Ekkehard