[Lingtyp] Innovation of functional categories

David Gil gil at shh.mpg.de
Wed Jun 17 12:37:29 UTC 2020

Dear all,

I sympathize with Adam Tallman's struggling with the notion of "functional":

On 17/06/2020 10:22, Adam James Ross Tallman wrote:
> Dear Juergen,
>
> Just a clarifying question (I'm interested because I've attempted to
> develop a method to quantify the degree to which some set of morphemes
> is morphologized and I have struggled with defining "functional" in a
> consistent fashion, and actually I have just given up)

I have also struggled with the related notion of "grammatical". In my
2015 paper (reference below), I argued that languages of the
Mekong-Mamberamo linguistic area are characterized by "Low Grammatical
Morpheme Density".  While I remain convinced that this is a really
central core property of these languages, I was painfully aware of the
difficulties in objectively defining the notion of grammatical
morpheme.  In an earlier draft of the paper I proposed a
semantically-based definition, but in the final version it got whittled
down to a single lengthy footnote (no. 26), which I have reproduced
below for those who are interested. It's a topic that I am hoping to
work on more in the future.

Best,

David

Gil, David (2015) "The Mekong-Mamberamo Linguistic Area", in N.J.
Enfield and B. Comrie eds., /Languages of Mainland Southeast Asia, The
State of the Art/, Pacific Linguistics, DeGruyter Mouton, Berlin, 266-355.

Footnote 26:

It must be acknowledged that the distinction between contentives and
grammatical markers is itself somewhat problematical, not least because
it conflates two orthogonal dimensions, formal and semantic. In part,
the distinction is of a formal nature: whereas contentives are typically
independent words or word stems belonging to open word classes,
grammatical markers are usually either words or word stems belonging to
closed classes or else bound morphemes, often exhibiting idiosyncratic
morphosyntactic behaviour. Nevertheless, the formal distinction exhibits
a strong empirical correlation to a logically-independent semantic
distinction, between different kinds of concepts. For example, within
the domain of time, days of the week are the kind of concept expressed
by contentives such as English /Tuesday/, whereas past is the kind of
concept typically expressed by grammatical morphemes such as English
/-ed/, though exceptions do exist (e.g. the Riau Indonesian proximate
past expression /tadi,/ a separate word belonging to the single open
word-class of the language and exhibiting no idiosyncratic grammatical
properties whatsoever). These two kinds of concepts may be characterized
with reference to /encyclopaedic knowledge/, that is to say, our
structured and highly detailed understanding of the way things are in
the world around us. Particular concepts may be said to be encyclopaedic
to the extent that they draw upon such encyclopaedic knowledge,
resulting in a classification of concepts as either
/encyclopaedically-rich/ or /encyclopaedically-poor/. Examples of
encyclopaedically-rich concepts are ‘Tuesday’, ‘dog’, and ‘buy’, which
make reference to complex and detailed knowledge in various domains of
human activity and experience. In contrast, encyclopaedically-poor
concepts are ones like past, plural and locative, typically of a more
abstract, logical and relational nature, with little or no reference to
such detailed real-world knowledge. For the most part,
encyclopaedically-rich concepts are expressed by words and larger
phrases, while encyclopaedically-poor concepts are encoded by
grammatical markers, but there are exceptions (e.g. the non-grammatical
but encyclopaedically-poor Riau Indonesian /tadi/ above). This points
towards a possible alternative semantically-based characterization of
Mekong-Mamberamo languages as displaying /low
encyclopaedically-poor-concept articulation/, in that the expression of
encyclopaedically-poor concepts by means of overt morphemes is
impoverished, that is to say, paradigmatically optional and
syntagmatically infrequent.

--
David Gil

Senior Scientist (Associate)
Department of Linguistic and Cultural Evolution
Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History
Kahlaische Strasse 10, 07745 Jena, Germany

Email: gil at shh.mpg.de
Mobile Phone (Israel): +972-556825895
Mobile Phone (Indonesia): +62-81344082091