[Lingtyp] questions about adverbs

Alex Francois alex.francois.cnrs at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 14:01:18 UTC 2020

dear Aminata,

Thanks for an interesting query.

*Mwotlap*, an Oceanic language of northern Vanuatu, has several strategies
for intensifying its stative predicates (adjectives).
Some are general strategies, that apply to any adjective: for ex. *meh* 'too
much' can combine with any predicate (*too big, too heavy...*)
But Mwotlap also has a whole set of *lexically-specific intensifiers*, very
similar to what you describe for Wolof:

   - thus the intensifier *len̄* [lɛŋ] is only used with two adjectives
   meaning 'big, large', namely *liwo *and
*kēkēn  *→ *kēkēn len̄ * "super-large"
   - the intensifier *ton̄ton̄* [tɔŋtɔŋ] only goes with the stative verb
   *sis* 'swell, be full'
   → *sis ton̄ton̄* "chock-full"
   - the intensifier *tewiwi* [tɛwiwi] goes with *yeh *'remote'
   → *yeh tewiwi*  "really far"
   - etc.

I guess I would call them *lexically-specific intensifiers*.
I found 69 of them in Mwotlap;  you can find a list in my grammatical
description (p.266-267
<http://alex.francois.online.fr/data/AlexFrancois_These_DescriptionMwotlap.pdf#page=266>,
reference below), under the label *intensifs spécifiques*.

   - François, Alexandre. 2001. Contraintes de structures et liberté dans
   l'organisation du discours. Une description du mwotlap, langue océanienne
   du Vanuatu. PhD dissertation in Linguistics, Université Paris-IV Sorbonne.
   (link <http://alex.francois.online.fr/AFpub_books_e.htm#01>)

When their etymology can be reconstructed, these intensifiers may originate
in a former noun, or adjective, or verb:

   - *gagah* 'ribs'
   → *newkah gagah*  'rib-skinny' = 'very skinny'
   - *lam*  'ocean'
   → *nōqōqō lam*   'ocean-deep' = 'very deep'
   - *mēlēglēg * 'dark'
   → *nemyēpyēp mēlēglēg*  'dark-blurry' = 'very blurry'
   - *mōdō*  'orphan'
   → *nemgaysēn mōdō*  'orphan-sad' = 'really sad'
   - *yeyey*  'quiver'
   → *tamayge yeyey*   'quiver-old' = 'very old'
   - *lawlaw*  'shiny'
   → *nēmnay lawlaw*   'shiny-smart' = 'very smart, brilliant'
   - …

Some languages would use ideophones for such intensifying uses.  But I
don't believe that the Mwotlap intensifiers qualify as ideophones.

These words are indeed – as Ekkehard rightly points out – reminiscent of
the lexically-specific intensifiers of English, such as *brand new*, *chock
full*, *boiling hot*... French also has *rouge sang* (intensely red), and
phrases like *fier comme Artaban*, *riche comme Crésus*...

best
Alex
------------------------------

Alex François