[Lingtyp] lit review: prosodic phonology and morphosyntactic structure

Natalie Weber natalie.a.weber at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 15:09:15 UTC 2020

I agree. This is a failing of a lot of prosodic phonology literature,
although perhaps for good reason. Ideally, a study of the correspondence
between prosodic and syntactic structure would have three parts:

   1. Independent phonological evidence for prosodic constituents
   2. Independent syntactic evidence for syntactic constituents
   3. Explicit characterization of the mapping between the two

But in practice you will often only see 2 out 3 of those, because it's
uncommon for phonologists to be well-versed in syntax enough to study the
syntax side of things, and vice versa. Personally, I'm hoping to encourage
more cross-subfield collaborations.

My dissertation discusses correspondences between syntactic, prosodic, and
metrical constituents in Blackfoot (Algonquian), and I address each of the
three points above. I discuss independent syntactic evidence for the CP and
*v*P constituents, independent phonological evidence for the PPh and PWd
constituents, and then discuss some of the implications for mapping between
them. It was a huge undertaking (hence why I think we need co-authored
studies), but it's also one of the only studies of prosodic phonology I
know of that attempts to address all three points. You can download it at
http://hdl.handle.net/2429/74075 if you are interested.

Regarding some of the recent and seminal papers in prosodic phonology:

The mentions of syntactic 'words' (X0) and 'phrases' (XP) have increased
since Selkirk's (2011) "The syntax-phonology interface" paper on Match
Theory. In her earlier work, she was more explicit about relating the
syntactic definitions to X-bar theory. In my interpretation, that means
that X0 is a minimal phrase (not a syntactic "word", which is not a
primitive type). In theory, then, these papers *could* use typical tests
for phrasal constituency, such as movement, uninterruptibility, etc. Like
you, I've found that they don't, but it's good to remember that it should
in principle be possible to show this.

There is also work like Nespor and Vogel (1986/2007) which has explicit
mapping algorithms that rely on morphological units like the "stem", or
"affix". Much of the time, these constituents are also not defined with a
universal morphosyntactic definition, but at least they are usually
well-supported on language internal facts.

There's other recent work that does pretty decently though, depending on
what you'll count as sufficient empirical evidence... maybe if you give us
an idea of the sorts of papers you've already considered and rejected, we
could fill in the gaps? (Basically, I started typing a lot more, but I
wasn't sure if it was the kind of thing you are looking for.)

I'd be super happy to start a shared list of prosodic phonology literature
(a reading group?), if you're interested! It would be pretty useful to tag
papers for how well they address the syntax side of things via empirical
generalizations.

Best,
--Natalie