[Lingtyp] Innovation of functional categories

Bohnemeyer, Juergen jb77 at buffalo.edu
Wed Jun 24 03:09:28 UTC 2020

Dear Kasper — There are many kinds of functional expressions that are not inherently backgrounded, such as negation, quantificational determiners, modals, demonstratives, emphatic pronouns, and so on. If I remember Boyer & Harder (2012) correctly (apologies if I don’t!), you treat these as not grammaticalized. I consider them weakly grammaticalized. But more to the point, I consider them functional expressions, i.e., part of the grammatical = combinatorial system of language.

At the moment, I’m working with a classification of six subtypes of functional expressions. Here are some informal characterizations:

Placeholders such as pronominal elements are indexical representations of referents. Their referents may be at-issue content, but their lexical meanings are not, as they merely specify search domains for the referents.

Functors such as negation, numerals, adnominal or adverbial quantificational expressions, and modal operators express monovalent conceptual operators that are part of the speaker’s intended message and thus may be at-issue content.

Relators such as adpositions, connectives, and “semantic”/”lexical” case-markers, express conceptual relations that are part of the speaker’s intended message.

Social deictics, or ‘honorifics’ in a technical sense of that term, cannot be at-issue content and do not contribute to the truth-conditions of an utterance. Their presence in an utterance satisfies pragmatic felicity conditions that arise from societal norms of interpersonal relation management.

Restrictors, such as markers of tense, viewpoint aspect, mood, gender/noun class, number, or structural case, as well as complementizers, are redundant expressions of parts of the speaker’s communicative intention that cannot be at-issue content. Their presence in an utterance, which may or may not be morphosyntactically required, is motivated by a reduction of the hearer’s inference load. Restrictors are at the heart of the book. The theory employs a continuous probabilistic notion of redundancy/informativeness according to which an expression is the more redundant/less informative in a given context the more predictable its occurrence in the context is.

A possible sixths class is formed by facilitators, which like restrictors are metalinguistic expressions that help clarify the speaker’s communicative intention rather than to be themselves “essential” (non-redundant) expressions of part of the communicative intent. Facilitators differ from restrictors in that, rather than to clarify the lexical content of the utterance, they serve to facilitate the coordination between the interlocutors. Examples include illocutionary expressions, but also some interjections and discourse particles. (It is at present not clear to me whether it is necessary for an evolutionary theory of functional categories to distinguish between restrictors and facilitators.)

As you can see, the lower half of these are inherently backgrounded = non-at-issue, whereas the upper half are not.

But I’m primarily interested in restrictors, and as far as those are concerned, our approaches appear to be in agreement.

Best — Juergen