[Lingtyp] Citing text in European languages without translation

Johanna Mattissen Johanna.Mattissen at uni-koeln.de
Fri Jun 26 08:58:39 UTC 2020

Dear all,

by the way, heaps of non-native speakers are forced to write in English
and to read English, a language they have probably learnt at school.
School English is just one variety of English, sometimes with outlooks
on vocabulary of other varieties. Now, I have often come across native
speakers using insider's idiomatic expressions and examples from
different and lesser known varieties of English in their contributions
without explaining what they mean. Paraphrasing would help in these
cases as well.

Regards,
Johanna Mattissen

European Legal Linguistics