[Lingtyp] languages of scholarship

David Gil gil at shh.mpg.de
Fri Jun 26 11:46:39 UTC 2020

Just a historical anecdote.

back in the late '70, R.B. Lees was instrumental in setting up a
generatively-oriented linguistics department at Tel Aviv University.
Although he spoke fluent Hebrew, he insisted that he and his colleagues
teach only in English (contrary to all other subjects at the same
university that were being taught in Hebrew).  When I (then a beginning
TA) took him to task on this, his response was that modern linguistics
could not be taught in Hebrew because there were no equivalents for
crucial methodological turns of phrase such as "account for".  To which
my response was Well then coin a new expression, and if that doesn't
work then maybe there is something incoherent in an expression that
resists translation into another language.  I lost the argument of course.

David

--
David Gil

Senior Scientist (Associate)
Department of Linguistic and Cultural Evolution
Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History
Kahlaische Strasse 10, 07745 Jena, Germany

Email: gil at shh.mpg.de
Mobile Phone (Israel): +972-556825895
Mobile Phone (Indonesia): +62-81344082091