[Lingtyp] languages of scholarship

Peter Austin pa2 at soas.ac.uk
Fri Jun 26 11:59:35 UTC 2020

Martin

I defer to colleagues more knowledgeable than I (especially those at
LLACAN, Paris) but there are certainly recent publications on Cape Verde
Creole (located in West Africa) in Portuguese, and maybe also on Angolan
languages. My former colleague Lameen Souag compiled a listing some years
ago of resources about endangered languages in Arabic that ran to hundreds
of entries so perhaps he or others can comment.

I am reluctant to accept a defeatist attitude re publication in languages
other than English -- it seems to me just as you took on closed access
publishers with Language Science Press there is a place for multilingual
activism in publication, especially in support of early career colleagues
in places like Latin America or Francophonie. If Nigel can get TPhS to
publish an article in French then why not you with LSP?

Peter