[Lingtyp] languages of scholarship

David Gil gil at shh.mpg.de
Fri Jun 26 20:11:39 UTC 2020

Dear all,

Like Martin I am a "defeatist", except that I don't really think it's
that bad a state of affairs.

Looking at things from a somewhat broader perspective, we are clearly in
a transition to a Global era where more and more things are being done
on a global scale. Kids in Indonesia play online interactive electronic
games with kids from America and Africa, and of course they interact in
rudimentary Globish.  Ditto training sessions in top football clubs
employing star players from all over the world, ditto the international
space station, ditto Max Planck Institutes, so why not also scientific
publications?  All of these and many others constitute collective
endeavors which require a common language — and English is the
inevitable (albeit historically accidental) choice. If an earlier era
witnessed the rise of national languages alongside regional ones, we are
now in an era where the world village needs its own language, and the
obvious choice is English (whether or not we decide to call it Globish —
I quite like the idea myself). And just as national languages call for
bilingualism, and often offer an unfair advantage to native speakers of
the national language, so the rise of global English points towards a
new norm of trilingualism, with, again, an unfair advantage to persons
whose native language happens to be English.  Yes, we need to find ways
to help our friends whose native language is not English, just as, for
some time now, we have needed to help those whose native language is not
their national one.  But I really don't see any alternative to English
as the global language.

David

--
David Gil

Senior Scientist (Associate)
Department of Linguistic and Cultural Evolution
Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History
Kahlaische Strasse 10, 07745 Jena, Germany

Email: gil at shh.mpg.de
Mobile Phone (Israel): +972-556825895
Mobile Phone (Indonesia): +62-81344082091