[Lingtyp] languages with just lexical contour tones / bitonal units?

Haspelmath, Martin haspelmath at shh.mpg.de
Tue Mar 24 11:06:52 UTC 2020

That's great, Larry! Maybe you could write a paper about this for tone
languages. (Or maybe you already have a paper about this?)

We had some discussions about "normalized concepts" (= uniform
yardsticks for measurement) earlier (see, e.g., this 2012 blogpost about
a "normalized" syllable concept: https://dlc.hypotheses.org/263).

And there was an interesting controversy between you and Kiparsky in the
recent Hyman & Plank volume "Phonological typology", which I discussed
here: https://dlc.hypotheses.org/1817

Kiparsky works with the traditional generative idea of uniform innate
building blocks, and it seems that he doesn't even entertain the idea
that one could have two different descriptions: one that takes into
account all the language-particular generalizations, and one that is
"normalized" (= allows uniform measurement).

Since your name is associated (at least by some older folks like me)
with "generative phonology" (your 1975 textbook was very influential), I
think you would be uniquely placed to explain the difference between
innate building blocks, language-particular analyses, and comparison via
normalized concepts.

Best,
Martin

--
Martin Haspelmath (haspelmath at shh.mpg.de)
Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History