[Lingtyp] orthography in formatted examples

Françoise Rose francoise.rose at univ-lyon2.fr
Wed Mar 25 14:58:27 UTC 2020

Dear all,
It seems most grammars of languages without a written tradition do use punctuation (although minimal) in the examples, if those are full sentences. Capitalization maybe less systematically, probably for the reason that Katharina has mentioned. “,” are important sometimes to get an idea of the prosody, and the syntactic structure, and I use “…” a lot to mark errors and hesitations.
I don’t see the problem of punctuation symbols being also used in the gloss line: in different lines, the same symbols have different meanings (and a different distribution anyway: “.” Is always used after a word (i.e. before a space) in the example line and within the gloss in a gloss line). The only problem me or my students have been confronted with is when the “-“ is used in the orthography. If in the gloss line, I usually replace it with “_”, as in “grand_père”. If in the example line, I don’t have an ideal solution.
Nice to have this discussion !
Keep safe,
Françoise