[Lingtyp] knock-down arguments

Haspelmath, Martin haspelmath at shh.mpg.de
Wed Mar 25 15:08:46 UTC 2020

Yes, Larry, often our colleagues make arguments to persuade us, but we can reject their proposal because it is not the only possibility. This is often frustrating, and I think it shows that part of our energies are wasted.

But it's still true that we need abstract concepts of some sort, because there are some language-internal generalizations that MUST be captured in some way. Maybe not so much in phonology (where there is a limited number of segment, syllable and pattern types), but definitely in morphosyntax.

I think the key concept is *productivity*: If a pattern productively extends to new cases, we MUST posit an abstract category. Which category is the best one is rarely clear – e.g. it's unclear whether we need "wh-movement" or "modal verb" in English, because different subtypes of these behave differently, and we need to have these subcategories anyway (and whether we need the broad categories is unclear).

But we need some kind of rule of Verb-Subject Inversion in English, for example, because we cannot provide a list of all English Subject expressions. The unlimited productivity of constructions like "has my sister come", "will Kim leave", "must we posit a rule", and so on, shows that there must be SOME abstract category.

In phonology, productivity is sometimes illustrated with the ill-formedness of */bnik/ in English, and the well-formedness (but non-existence) of */blik/. To the extent that such judgements are consistent, I find this argument persuasive.

(This is not like Franklin/Crick/Watson's DNA, but that's a different level of generality anyway. I think Zipf's discoveries about frequency effects on length are perhaps on a par with DNA, because they are extremely general.)

Best,
Martin