[Lingtyp] Mainland Northeast Asia (MNEA) as a linguistic area

Joo, Ian joo at shh.mpg.de
Sat Mar 28 13:07:19 UTC 2020

I see your point. The detailed argument I would like to make about the put-release verbs in MNEA languages is that they share the following four meanings: `to relax (a part of oneself, e.g. hand or heart)’, `to leave (something at a location)’, `to put’ and `to release’. So while verbs meaning `to put’ and `to release’ are indeed observed outside of MNEA, a verb sharing this specific semantic range consisting of four meanings would be rarer, I would suspect. (Although, after consulting a dictionary of the Adi language, it does seem to encompass all these four meanings as well). Please find attached a part of my manuscript that gives examples of four MNEA languages where the same verb is used for each of these four meanings.

Regards,
Ian