[Lingtyp] Why cite non-Latin-script literature ONLY in Latin script?

Johanna Nichols johanna at berkeley.edu
Tue Mar 31 15:07:02 UTC 2020

My understanding is that the convention of abbreviating names
(including using just initials instead of first names) goes back to
the days where it was important to conserve space (and therefore size,
weight, postage, etc.) in print publications.  High time we retired
that fossil.  (I think the fossil is pursued most zealously in
hard-science journals, and those are the fields that have been
electronic longest and most thoroughly.)

Another way to disambiguate names is to add ORCID numbers to ambiguous
or possibly ambiguous ones.

Johanna Nichols