[Lingtyp] ComputEL-4: 1st Call-for-Papers

Antti Arppe arppe at ualberta.ca
Mon May 4 06:37:08 UTC 2020

[Apologies for cross-postings]

ComputEL-4

Fourth Workshop on the Use of Computational Methods in the Study of
Endangered Languages

1st Call-for-Papers

The ComputEL-4 workshop will focus on the use of computational methods
in the study, support, and revitalization of endangered languages. The
primary aim of the workshop is to continue narrowing the gap between
computational linguists interested in working on methods for endangered
languages, field linguists working on documenting these languages, and
the language communities who are striving to maintain their languages.

We take seriously the goal of reaching all relevant communities. To
support this goal, ComputEL aims to alternate co-location with
computational linguistics conferences and language documentation
conferences.

Workshop format/venue and the COVID-19 pandemic

Our current intention is for ComputEL-4 to take place on March 2-3,
2021, immediately preceding the 7th International Conference on Language
Documentation and Conservation (ICLDC7) hosted by the University of Hawaii.

However, due to the uncertainty caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, we are
also considering various options for holding ComputEL-4 as a fully
virtual or virtual/in-person hybrid workshop. We plan to make a decision
about the workshop format by June 1, 2020.

Call for Papers

Papers are invited which explore the interface and intersection of
computational linguistics, documentary linguistics, and community-based
language revitalization and conservation efforts. The committee
encourages submissions which:

(i) examine the use of specific methods in the analysis of data from
low-resource languages, with a focus on endangered languages, or propose
new methods for analysis of such data,

(ii) propose new models for the collection, management, and deployment
of data in endangered language settings, or

(iii) consider what concrete steps are required to allow for a more
fruitful interaction between computer scientists, documentary linguists,
and language communities.

The intention of the workshop is not merely to allow for the
presentation of research, but also to continue building a network of
computational linguists, documentary linguists, and community language
activists who are able to effectively join together and serve their
common interests.

Presentations

We will have both oral presentation sessions and a poster session. The
decision on whether a presentation will be oral or poster will be made
by the Organizing Committee on the advice of the Program Committee,
taking into account the subject matter and how the content might be best
conveyed. Oral and poster presentations will not be distinguished in the
Proceedings.

Submissions

In line with our goal of reaching different academic communities, we
offer two different modes of submission: extended abstract and full
paper. Either can be submitted to our two tracks: (a) language community
perspective and (b) academic perspective. The mode of submission does
not influence likelihood of acceptance. Camera-ready versions will be
the same length for both submission modes.

Submissions must be uploaded via Easychair
<https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=computel4>(https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=computel4)
no later than September 1, 2020, 11:59PM (UTC-11, time zone of American
Samoa). Please indicate clearly (in the Abstract) which of the two modes
(Extended abstractor Full paper) you are submitting to.

All submissions must be anonymous and will be peer-reviewed by the
scientific committee. Notification of acceptance will be sent out by
September 30, 2020.

A. Extended abstract:

Please submit anonymous abstracts of up to 1500 words.

B. Full paper:

Please submit anonymously either a) long papers (max. 8 pages plus
references) or b) short papers (max. 4 pages plus references) according
to the style and formatting guidelines provided our ComputeEL Style
Files (with template files for both LaTeX and Microsoft Word: see:
https://computel-workshop.org/computel4-submissions/). Authors will be
allowed one extra page for the final version (altogether 5 and 9 pages)
excluding references.

Proceedings

The authors of selected accepted full papers (long or short) will be
invited by the Organizing Committee to submit their papers for online
publication via the open-access ACL Anthology. All other accepted full
papers (long and short) and extended abstracts will be published
electronically in University of Colorado Boulder Scholar
(https://scholar.colorado.edu/scil-cmel/). Final versions of long and
short papers will be allotted one additional page (altogether 5 and 9
pages) excluding references. Extended abstracts will be allotted up to 5
pages (according to the short paper format) excluding references. Any
revisionsshould concern responses to reviewer comments or the addition
of relevant details and clarifications, but not entirely new, unreviewed
content.Proceedings papers should be revised and improved versions of
the version that was submitted for, and which underwent, review.
Camera-ready versions of the articles for publication will be due on
January 25, 2021.

Important Dates:

Mon1-June-2020  Notification of workshop format

Mon1-September-2020  Deadline for submission of papers or short abstracts

Wed30-September-2020  Notification of acceptance

Tue-Wed 2-3-March-2021  Workshop (tentative)

Endorsed by

SIGEL - ACL Special Interest Group for Endangered Languages

Organizing Committee

Antti Arppe (University of Alberta)

Jeff Good (University at Buffalo)

Atticus Harrigan (University of Alberta): community track

Mans Hulden (University Colorado Boulder)

Jordan Lachler (University Alberta)

Sarah Moeller (University of Colorado Boulder): general/computational track

Alexis Palmer (University of North Texas)

Lane Schwartz (University of Illinois)

Miikka Silfverberg (University of British Columbia)

Contact - website and email

For further information, please consult our website:
https://computel-workshop.org/computel4/

or email us at:

computel.workshop at gmail.com <mailto:computel.workshop at gmail.com>

Previous workshops

The first ComputEL workshop was co-located with ACL in June 2014 in
Baltimore; ComputEL-2 was co-located with the 5th International
Conference of Language Documentation and Conservation (ICLDC5) in
Honolulu, Hawai’i, in March 2017; ComputEL-3 was co-located with the 6th
International Conference of Language Documentation and Conservation
(ICLDC6) in Honolulu, Hawai’i, in March 2019. The proceedings of the
previous ComputEL workshops have been published online by ACL and
University of Colorado Boulder Scholar. For further information, see:
https://computel-workshop.org/