[Lingtyp] Epistemic possibility plus affective evaluation?

Bastian Persohn persohn.linguistics at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 13:12:16 UTC 2020

Dear Rodrigo,

Yes, the descriptive works I consulted agree. Here's an exerpt from a
manuscript of mine:

Despite the constituent /mejor/ ‘better, best’, and as highlighted
explicitly in several descriptions, /a lo mejor/ does not feature any
element of positive evaluation (de Bruyne 1993: 428; García de Dini
1980: 85; Gónzalez Calvo 1989: 157; Santos Río 2003: 498; Fernández
Sanmartín and García Salido 2012: 2131; Suarez Hernández 2017: 110,
footnote 95)

I recall examples from the CdE and CORPES XXI corpora that closely
resemble your example,
though I do not have them at hand right now.

Best,

Bastian