[Lingtyp] papers on non-uniqueness in tone and stress

Greville Corbett g.corbett at surrey.ac.uk
Thu Feb 4 11:23:06 UTC 2021

Hi Adam,

You ask about morphosyntax, and there is indeed analogous discussion about the uniqueness of solutions in feature systems. There have been suggestions that, for instance, PLURAL can be a value of GENDER (in Cushitic), that PERSON is part of the GENDER system (Archi), that NUMBER is part of PERSON (French), and discussion about whether the Russian ADNUMERATIVE is a value of CASE or of NUMBER. I discuss each of these in Features, chap 8, and suggest that in each of these specific instances there is an analysis which is supported by converging arguments (I get off the fence). In brief, a value belongs to just one feature: PLURAL is a value of NUMBER in Cushitic, PERSON is a distinct feature in Archi and French, and the Russian ADNUMERATIVE is part of the CASE system. There are also debates about concurrent vs non-concurrent feature systems; for that see, for instance, Round & Corbett (2017) on Kayardild TAM, and Fedden & Corbett (2017) on gender and classifiers in concurrent systems. The last reference fits your bill best, in that we argue there for ‘in-between’ instances (systems that overlap, to measurable degrees). Hope that helps, Best, Grev