[Lingtyp] Grammatcalization of 'road/way/path'.

Dmitri Sitchinava mitrius at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 19:10:18 UTC 2021

Dear typologists.

Me and my colleague are interested in grammaticalization patterns with
nouns meaning 'road/way/path'.

In Svorou (1994) various examples of grammaticalization into spatial grams
are provided, but examples beyond the spatial domain are probably even more
interesting.
The pattern 'way/matter' is also well-known, but to give you a few more
examples: English intensifier *way* too, French *être en voie de* and
Swedish *på väg att* (~to be about to), German *wegen* 'because of'. The
famous *way*-construction (*to V one's way*) is also worth mentioning.

We would appreciate it if you could help us to collect more data so that we
could get a more diverse sample and would not miss some potentially
interesting patterns.

Best
Dmitri