[Lingtyp] 2nd CfP: Crosslinguistic Perspectives on Processing and Learning 2021 at University of Zurich, September 16-17, 2021

Jekaterina Mazara jekaterina.mazara at uzh.ch
Thu Jul 1 16:29:24 UTC 2021

***   Apologies for cross-posting   ***

Extended deadline for X-PPL: Cross-linguistic Perspectives on Processing and Learning 2021!  The new deadline is July 11th.  As before, we would like to draw attention to the several non-traditional types of abstracts (see below) that we are accepting this year.

--> https://www.comparativelinguistics.uzh.ch/en/events/x-ppl2021/CfP.html <https://www.comparativelinguistics.uzh.ch/en/events/x-ppl2021/CfP.html>

X-PPL brings together the growing community of researchers working to expand the diversity of languages in the scope of experimental or corpus research on adults or acquisition.  This research is driven by the recognition that typological diversity represents different opportunities to see processing and learning mechanisms at work.  The bulk of processing and acquisition research represents only a small fraction of linguistic diversity, and this risks skewing both our theories and research questions.

The Crosslinguistic Perspectives on Processing and Learning Workshop (X-PPL) aims to fill this gap and provide a platform for cross-linguistic research on language processing and learning. X-PPL 2021 is hosted by the Center for the Interdisciplinary Study of Language Evolution and the Department of Comparative Language Science at the University of Zurich, September 16 – 17, 2021. The workshop will be held online.

We invite contributions for 20-minute talks on the interface of linguistic diversity and language processing, encompassing production, comprehension, and acquisition, as well as abstracts on issues that psycholinguists in the field might encounter or plans for cross-linguistic work. Specifically, we invite contributions presenting new evidence on:

	• Whether and how grammars are shaped by (cognitive and neurobiological) constraints on processing and learning, and by external pressures

	• Whether and how the different grammatical properties of linguistic systems might afford the application of different processing and learning strategies

We welcome in particular:

	• Studies examining production, comprehension, or developmental phenomena in one or more language(s) chosen for differences in their grammatical characteristics

	• Experimental studies on under-researched languages providing implications for processing and acquisition theories

	• Studies providing processing-based or learning-based explanations of language change and typological distributions

In addition, we understand that the COVID-19 pandemic has made cross-linguistic and fieldwork-based research particularly difficult and therefore we also welcome abstracts which address:

	• Issues which may be specific to cross-linguistic processing (small to non-existent corpora resources, varying literacy levels among speakers, participants who aren’t familiar with experiments/technology, etc.) and the solutions which researchers have found to address these issues

	• Plans for experimental cross-linguistic work that the speakers would like to get feedback on, such as from researchers new to experimental cross-linguistic work that may particularly benefit from the expertise of the community.

	• Methods for processing corpus data for psycholinguistic goals in low-resource languages

Keynote speakers:

	• Elena Lieven (University of Manchester)

	• Asli Ozyurek (Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics, Nijmegen)

Abstracts should be submitted as PDFs at https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=xppl2021 <https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=xppl2021>, no later than *11th July 2021*, and should not exceed one A4 page (one additional page for interlinear-glossed examples, references, and figures are allowed).