[Lingtyp] Definition of “personal pronoun"

Edith A Moravcsik edith at uwm.edu
Wed Jul 7 16:12:21 UTC 2021

Do we need to formulate a single definition for personal pronouns for any one language? And, similarly, should we decide on the single definition of the comparative concept of personal pronouns for comparing languages?

The sole raison d’ẽtre of a category is its usefulness in facilitating generalizations. If it turns out that a particular definition of personal pronouns in, say, Korean is useful for that language since it represents a cluster of properties, we may use the label “personal pronoun” for that cluster – or we may of course choose any other label. Personal pronouns defined in this way may also have properties in common with other things such as nouns – e.g. in Korean, the noun  ‘brother’ can also be used as a pronoun; and in many languages the plural of the third person pronoun follows the nominal pattern. This does not mean that we have to discard the original definition used for that language: we simply state the properties shared by other things.

The same way, a comparative concept – i.e. a tool for crosslinguistic comparison – will earn its status by leading to correlations: that is, whether the particular definitional property chosen implies or implied by other properties. Just as in describing a single language we can start out with any definitions, the same way we can try comparing languages in terms of any concepts. We do not know ahead of inquiry what will work - this is an empirical question. There may be alternative comparative concepts within the same semantic domain each allowing for some correlates but not others.

All in all, whether for analyzing individual languages or for comparing languages, the definition of a category or concept can be quite randomly chosen to begin with. Whether the definition stands or falls will be an empirical issue determined by the existence or non-existence of property clusters emerging from that definition.

Is this correct? Or am I missing something?

Edith Moravcsik