[Lingtyp] Position of before-clauses

Anvita Abbi anvitaabbi at gmail.com
Mon Jul 12 14:58:25 UTC 2021

The problem occurs when we try to map constructions in English with those
in other languages. As far as I know, almost all the Indo-Aryan languages
and other SOV languages have before-clause preposed to the main clause. The
expected striking feature is the sentence does not start with the word for
'before' because of the SOV nature.
Anvita