[Lingtyp] Before-constructions

Jesus Francisco Olguin Martinez olguinmartinez at ucsb.edu
Sun Jul 18 23:01:56 UTC 2021

Dear all,

Temporal construction expressing precedence (a.k.a. *before*-constructions)
consist of a sequence of two clauses in which the main state of affairs
happens before the dependent state of affairs (Kortmann 1997: 84-85;
Cristofaro 2003: 159). The dependent state of affairs in a
*before*-construction
may take place at a subsequent time point. However, there is no implication
about whether or not it actually takes place (Cristofaro 2003: 62).

In my sample, there are various languages that use a specialized
clause-linkage device to explicitly indicate that the dependent state of
affairs in a *before*-construction actually takes place.

I would be interested in hearing more about languages that have a
clause-linking device that explicitly indicate this type of information.

Thank you very much in advance.

Jesús Olguín Martínez
Ph.D. Candidate, Dept. of Linguistics
*University of California, Santa Barbara (UCSB)*
http://www.linguistics.ucsb.edu/people/jesús-olguín-martínez