[Lingtyp] Before-constructions

Paolo Ramat paoram at unipv.it
Mon Jul 19 14:51:54 UTC 2021

There are different types of time precedence (even if not expressed by '
*before*-constructions').
Consider : *As soon as Mary arrived, John left *(=immediate precedence,
often implying consequence)
*When John realized his idea was wrong, he gave it up *(the sentence does
not entail immediate consequence)
*After having composed his early symphonies, Mahler returned to Vienna in
1897 *(Mahler could have composed his early symphonies in 1887: the
'before' remains undefined)

Best,
Paolo

Mail