[Lingtyp] How do typologists use examples in grammars?

Nick Thieberger thien at unimelb.edu.au
Tue Jun 1 19:45:14 UTC 2021

An important additional matter related to examples is that they cite their
source and status. Ideally this is a reference to the media in which they
were recorded, located in a language archive. Their status could include
what kind of discourse they occur in, who the speaker was (anonymised if
necessary) and if the example was elicited or came from narratives,
experimental stimuli and so on.

And any subsequent use of that example should retain the links back to the
primary records to avoid the notorious second and third life of example
sentences to illustrate a particular grammatical point.

See a more detailed discussion here:
Andrea L. Berez-Kroeker, Lauren Gawne, Susan Smythe Kung, Barbara F. Kelly,
Tyler Heston, Gary Holton, Peter Pulsifer, David I. Beaver, Shobhana
Chelliah, Stanley Dubinsky, Richard P. Meier, Nick Thieberger, Keren Rice
and Anthony C. Woodbury. 2018. Reproducible research in linguistics: A
position statement on data citation and attribution in our field.
Linguistics. Volume 56 Issue 1.
https://www.degruyter.com/document/doi/10.1515/ling-2017-0032/html

Nick

***********************
Assoc.Prof. Nick Thieberger
School of Languages and Linguistics
The University of Melbourne
Parkville, VIC 3010, Australia
+61 3 8344 8952
*http://* <http://languages-linguistics.unimelb.edu.au/thieberger>*nthieberger.net
<http://nthieberger.net>*

Social and Cultural Informatics Platform (SCIP)
<https://scip.unimelb.edu.au/> Manager
Director, Pacific and Regional Archive for Digital Sources in Endangered
Cultures (PARADISEC) <http://paradisec.org.au/>
Editor, Language Documentation & Conservation Journal
<http://www.nflrc.hawaii.edu/ldc/>
CI in the  ARC Centre of Excellence for the Dynamics of Language
<http://www.dynamicsoflanguage.edu.au/>
[image: image.png]