[Lingtyp] Search for Participants in Study on Sneezing Responses

Bruno Olsson olssonbruno at gmail.com
Tue Jun 29 02:05:07 UTC 2021

Dear Charlotte,

Some more data: Coastal Marind is somewhat similar to Mayali in having
clan-specific post-sneeze interjections, see p. 123--124 in my thesis
<https://dr.ntu.edu.sg/bitstream/10356/73235/1/Olsson2017_Coastal_Marind.pdf>
(or
p. 145 in the published version
<https://www.degruyter.com/document/doi/10.1515/9783110747065/html>).
Olsson, Bruno. 2017. *The Coastal Marind language*. Doctoral thesis,
Nanyang Technological University, Singapore

Villagers would often give me a spiel about how the purpose of the
interjections is to make it possible to identify your clan mates, e.g. if
you are visiting another village and you hear someone sneeze, and someone
else screams, say, *maghadugu!* ('tail-part of a wallaby cut in half'),
then you know that the sneezer belongs to the wallaby clan, and if you're a
wallaby person too, the two of you can hit it off.

Best, Bruno