[Lingtyp] Testing a generalization about spatial reference frames

Sebastian Nordhoff sebastian.nordhoff at glottotopia.de
Fri Mar 5 10:43:57 UTC 2021

On 3/5/21 10:18 AM, Bernhard Wälchli wrote:
> Dear Jürgen and Dmitry,
>
> In some languages it is quite common to speak of “left-side” and
> “right-side” of rivers, which is an interesting in-between case between
> relative and absolute frames of reference. In fact, despite ‘left’ and
> ‘right’, the frame is rather absolute with rivers, whose orientation
> remains constant. For (Austrian) German, see for instance “Die Donau
> linksufrig zwischen Stromkilometer 1899,7 und 1901,9 und die „Orther
> Kehre“ mit Jahreskarte!”

I might add "rive gauche" and "rive droite" for Paris,
"linksrheinisch"/"rechtsrheinisch" for Cologne and, one of my all-time
favourites, the two train stations in the small town of Lauf an der
Pegnitz, which are called "links Pegnitz" and "rechts Pegnitz", rather
than Lauf-Süd and Lauf-Nord (Pegnitz is the river running through the
town).
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lauf_an_der_Pegnitz#Verkehr

I am pretty sure that some Europeans I know never use the cardinal
directions for anything. Items on a map are left/right/above/below.

So, for your generalization

>  My generalization is that there doesn’t seem to be any community in
>  which the type of use exemplified by (2) is conventional.

I would say that a community which never ever uses cardinal directions
would be a counterexample to your generalization.

Best wishes
Sebastian