[Lingtyp] word for "pitch" in languages across the world

John Du Bois dubois at ucsb.edu
Mon Mar 8 07:17:01 UTC 2021

Ethnomusicologists know something about this issue, so that could be a
place to look.

For example, some African languages (sorry, I know that's vague, my
ethnomusicology studies were a long time ago) use 'big' as a metaphor for
'low pitch' and 'small' for 'high pitch', with an obvious physical
grounding. Of course 'pitch' itself can be seen as an abstraction from such
particularities. This raises the question, do such languages use 'size' as
a metaphor for (variable) 'pitch'?
Jack

John W. Du Bois
Professor of Linguistics