[Lingtyp] Morphologically complex clitics?

Larry M. HYMAN hyman at berkeley.edu
Wed Mar 31 20:33:27 UTC 2021

Maybe I'm missing something, but other than the non-trivial problem of
deciding what is vs. isn't a clitic (vs. affix vs. full word), I thought
the request was for phonologically-leaning multi-morph forms that are not
prefixes or suffixes--not whether they form a prosodic word or clitic-word
constituent.

To fully explain the Luganda example, =byange 'my (class 8)' actually is
analyzed as =bi-a-nge  (cl.8-associative-1sg). I cited only unambiguously
motivated morph-breaks, but if you want to analyze le, la and les as having
more than one morph (which I don't find attractive), then we could further
analyze =byange as =bi-a-ng-e, since there are other possessives that end
in the final formative -e: -by-aff-e 'our', -by-a-mmw-e 'your pl.',
-by-a-bw-e 'their', and bye 'his/her' could be bi-a-e-e, although the
finall -e isn't needed. (A slight problem, though, with byo 'your sg.',
definitely no -e).