[Lingtyp] Folk definition of “word”

Jess Tauber tetrahedralpt at gmail.com
Fri Nov 26 14:05:26 UTC 2021

Yahgan (genetic isolate from Tierra del Fuego, currently critically
endangered) had several terms for 'word'.  ku:ta:na (colon marks tenseness
of vowel preceding it) meant 'Language, speech, saying, word, a discourse',
but as a verb also meant 'to speak, to say, utter, pronounce, to talk,
preach, harangue'.  Then the related simplex, listed as gu:ta, means
'language, speech, word, pronounceable word'.  Ha:sha (sh voiceless hushing
fricative) 'voice, language, uttered words, speech. Breath(ing). Cry,
utterance'.  bvma;na (v schwa) 'to mention, speak of, to speak of one's
intentions, wishes'. and 'to say, speak, detail, give an account of any
plan. To bray, as penguins'.   As noun- 'language, conversation, talk,
gossip'.  Wa:pa(n) 'a name, a word'.  Note also ya:pi:mata 'to talk, chat,
speak, converse, to talk with or to', and ya:pis/ya:pvs 'talkative, noisy,
given to gossip, forward with talk'. Yau(i)s (probably etymologically
related to ya:pis) 'false, deceitful, a lie, (given to) lying'.  Ya:si:ta
'noisy, talkative, forward of speech, given to gossip, false tongued' (-ta
is an adjective suffix referring to some proclivity).  Also likely related
etymologically to ya:pis, yauis.  Note that the language exhibits a strong
tendency towards 'bipartite constructions' (though here it's more
'tripartite', with some instrumental/manner-of-action/body part prefix on
the verb, followed by the main verb (which can be serialized), and finally
position/pathway suffixes. ya- refers to the mouth or leading edge of
something, and is found in a good number of complexes referring to talking
or eating.  Si:ta 'Talkative, given to chat, communicative'. Likely related
to ya:si:ta.   Finally chis 'news, especially of murder or death.
Intelligence of importance. Speech, harangue, hubbub, turmoil of voices in
quarrels, language'.