[Lingtyp] 'eye' > singulative marker?

Alex Francois alex.francois.cnrs at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 22:36:31 UTC 2021

dear Jussi,

Austronesian languages also tend to show rich polysemies around the noun
for 'eye'.
The word reconstructs as an etymon *mata in PMP (Proto Malayo Polynesian),
and *maCa in Proto Austronesian.

Robert Blust's online *Austronesian Comparative Dictionary* (ACD) has a
rich entry for PMP *mata :

https://www.trussel2.com/acd/acd-s_m.htm#30830

PMP  **mata  *“eye, face, focal point, center or most prominent part; hole,
aperture; doorway, window; budding part of plant; ‘eye’ of coconut; knot in
wood; sun; core of a boil; blade of a knife; to awaken; operculum of a
snail; mesh of a net; eye of a needle; noose of a trap; hearth; direction
of the wind; head of a river; spring, source; lid, cover”

While this poly-gloss does not include "singulative marker" as such, some
of the examples cited by Blust do include such meanings in certain modern
Austronesian languages:

Karo Batak <https://www.trussel2.com/acd/acd-l_S.htm#Sangir> mata eye
ŋke-mata
*counting classifier* for counting grains of rice
Sangir <https://www.trussel2.com/acd/acd-l_S.htm#Sangir>
mata eye; counting *classifier used in counting* snares and fishhooks
Arosi <https://www.trussel2.com/acd/acd-l_A.htm#Arosi> maa eye; face; hole,
opening, mesh of a net, gate; edge, point, brim; front of a person or
house; *numerical unit in counting* fish hooks, needles, stakes, flints,
fishing rods, houses, traps, slings, armlets and matches; a spot, stain,
crystal in rock, a groove for rubbing fire in a soft stick; to look at,
stare; a circle; to lead
Futunan <https://www.trussel2.com/acd/acd-l_F.htm#Futunan> mata face (
*plural*); eye; *numeral classifier for counting* fish; cutting edge,
blade; front of something, in front

   - Blust, Robert. 2021. *Online Austronesian Comparative Dictionary (ACD)*.

   Honolulu: University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa.
   [https://www.trussel2.com/acd]

Also, from my data on Vanuatu languages:
Mwotlap (an Austronesian language of Vanuatu) has a noun *mete* 'eye;
opening+'… (<*mata) which functions as a singulative marker with certain
nouns:

   - *vit*   “stars (in the night sky)”  →  *mete vit * “a star (taken
   individually)”

best
Alex
------------------------------