[Lingtyp] Two 1SG pronouns (in reported speech and beyond)

Guillaume Jacques rgyalrongskad at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 17:38:36 UTC 2022

Dear Denys,

This is not exactly what you are looking for, but in Stau, the 1sg normally
does not have a distinct ergative form, except in hybrid indirect speech
where we exceptionally find ŋa-w 1sg-erg (see (PDF) Sketch of Stau |
Guillaume Jacques and Lai Yunfan - Academia.edu
<https://www.academia.edu/12321947/Sketch_of_Stau> example 24).

Guillaume

Le ven. 21 janv. 2022 à 18:23, Denys T. <denys.teptiuk at gmail.com> a écrit :

> Dear all,
>
> Maybe this question may sound odd to many, but I wondered if there are
> languages that would have more than one 1SG pronoun, and if yes, how would
> the two differ from one another? My question mainly relates to reported
> speech constructions, specifically self-quotations. Since it is quite safe
> to assume that Reported Speaker = Reporter in self-quotations , I
> wondered if some language would distinguish the two sources of
> consciousness: 'I-now' as Reporter, and 'I-then' as Reported Speaker. I
> don’t think I have seen something like this in the literature (might have
> simply overlooked it), but if you have heard about something like that, I
> would be interested to know more. Any examples from the languages of your
> expertise where this (or any other similar distinction related to 1SG
> pronoun) occurs would be more than welcome!
>
> Have a lovely weekend!
>
> From Tartu,
> Denys Teptiuk

Guillaume Jacques