[Lingtyp] Two 1SG pronouns (in reported speech and beyond)

Joshua Birchall jtbirchall at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 19:16:41 UTC 2022

Dear Denys,

A similar pattern happens in a few languages I've worked with in western
Brazil and Bolivia, but this is done through verbal indexes and not free
pronouns. For example, in Oro Win, if you want to express 'I want to sleep'
or 'I'm going to sleep' you can say *ypen ta ona*  (sleep 1sg.fut 1sg.nfut)
where you are essentially reporting yourself as ''I will sleep I (said)".
The first index is always in the future tense and the second in the
non-future tense, and while the first index is always in the first person
(sg or pl), the second index can be inflected to project the speech onto
different reported speakers. I talk about in more depth in a 2018 JHL
article called "Historical change in reported speech constructions in the
Chapacuran family".

All the best,
Josh