[Lingtyp] An ideophone for cough?

David Gil gil at shh.mpg.de
Fri Mar 11 12:47:05 UTC 2022

Dear all,

Not exactly ideophones or coughing, but English has "harrumph" and
"ahem" to denote a sort of fake cough intentionally produced to express
disapproval and/or draw attention.  (The two actually seem to differ in
their status: whereas the former is kind of a regular verb, I don't
think I've ever heard "ahem" pronounced — it seems to exist only in
written form.)

Do other languages have similar forms?

David

On 11/03/2022 11:58, Raffaele Simone wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> working on a paper on ideophones and their place in grammar and
> lexicon I happened to wonder how things are concerning cough.
>
> Romance languages and other which I am familiar with do not seem to
> have a standard ideophone for it and even less a stable an accepted
> written version of it.
>
> Do you know languages that have an ideophone for cough and even more a
> way of indicating it in writing?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Raffaele
>
> --
> ===============
> Emeritus Professor, Università Roma Tre
> Hon C Lund University
> Membre de l'Académie Royale de Belgique
> Chevalier de l'Ordre des Arts et des Lettres de France
> Accademico della Crusca

David Gil

Senior Scientist (Associate)
Department of Linguistic and Cultural Evolution
Deutscher Platz 6, Leipzig, 04103, Germany

Email:gil at shh.mpg.de
Mobile Phone (Israel): +972-526117713
Mobile Phone (Indonesia): +62-81344082091