[Lingtyp] Reduplication for negation marking

Gilles Authier gilles.authier at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 16:55:06 UTC 2022

Dear Jorge,

Dahl's reference needs to be nuanced using his first-hand source, most
likely Magometov' grammar (1965, p 208) (*alakuz* 'to smear' > neg *alalakuz,
*etc). Here an analogical process yielded apparent reduplication of the
preverb (the negation prefix has many allomorphs, one of which ends up
matching one of the preverbs).
More to your point are the neighbouring (also East Caucasian but but not
closely related) Dargwa dialects), where the *root *appears duplicated
before the original negative prefixed form, in particular Kubachi, after
the negation prefix underwent attrition, also described by Magometov
(1963): *ba:q'ij* 'to do', neg. *ba:q'a:q'ij (< **b-a:q'-(a)-a:q'-ij *
gender-do.PF-(NEG)-do.pf-INF*)*

This is very probably a micro-areal feature.
GA