[Lingtyp] Emergence of word-class systems

Edoardo Nardi e.nardi at unimarconi.it
Sun Apr 2 06:55:29 UTC 2023

Dear John,

I myself know very little about the topic you are interested in, but Luca Alfieri (Guglielmo Marconi University, Rome, Italy) has been studying PoS theory in typological terms as well as in Indo-European languages, with particular attention to the development of the adjective class from Proto-Indo-European to the historical languages, especially Latin, Greek and Vedic: it seems that PIE did not have lexical adjectives, and this scenario is still mostly preserved in Vedic, wherein “adjectives” were in fact forms derived from quality-denoting verb roots; by contrast, Latin clearly exhibits the lexical class of adjectives, and Homeric Greek attests a sort of halfway situation between Vedic and Latin, providing concrete evidence for the ongoing typological change. Besides the papers that I attach below, I also indicate the following works (whose pdfs I do no have):

Alfieri, Luca (2016). The typological definition of the (apparently historical) notion of root. «Archivio Glottologico Italiano» 102 (1), 129-169.

Alfieri, Luca / Gasbarra, Valentina (2021). The adjective class in Homeric Greek and the parts of speech change in the Indo-European languages. In: Biondi, Laura / Dedè, Francesco / Scala, Andrea (eds.), Change in Grammar. Triggers, Paths, and Outcomes, 7-26. Alessandria: Edizioni dell’Orso.

I hope I was helpful!

Edoardo Nardi
e.nardi at unimarconi.it
PhD Student

> Il giorno 02 apr 2023, alle ore 00:57, John Mansfield <jbmansfield at gmail.com> ha scritto:
>
> Can anyone point me at literature speculating on how word-class systems may have emerged in human language? That is to say, if we assume that there are or were (proto-)languages without a clear word-class system, then how might one develop?

__ <https://www.unimarconi.it>
_
_
_

<https://www.facebook.com/unimarconi/>
<https://www.instagram.com/unimarconi/>
<https://it.linkedin.com/school/universit%C3%A0-degli-studi-guglielmo-marconi/>
__
<https://twitter.com/Uni_Marconi>________________________________________
_*Le informazioni contenute nel
presente messaggio di posta elettronica e
negli eventuali allegati possono
avere carattere confidenziale e/o
riservato. E', pertanto, vietato ai soggetti
diversi dal destinatario del
messaggio, utilizzare, modificare, copiare,
trasmettere o diffondere tali
informazioni. Qualora abbiate ricevuto il
presente messaggio per errore,
siete pregati di darne immediata notizia al
mittente e di procedere alla
distruzione del messaggio stesso, cancellandolo
dai Vostri sistemi
informativi.

La diffusione, la distribuzione e/o la copiatura
del
messaggio trasmesso da parte di qualsiasi soggetto diverso dal destinatario
è proibita sia ai sensi dell'art. 616 c.p. sia ai sensi del D.Lgs. n.
196/2003
e del Regolamento (UE) 2016/679.

The information
contained in
this e-mail message and in any attachments may be confidential and
/ or
privileged. It is therefore forbidden for persons or entities other than
the recipient of the message, to use, modify, copy, transmit or disseminate
this information. If you have received this message in error, please inform
the
sender immediately and proceed with the destruction of the message,
deleting it
from your information systems.

The dissemination, distribution
and / or copying
of the message transmitted by any person other than the
recipient is prohibited
both pursuant to art. 616 of the italian penal code
both pursuant to
Legislative Decree no. 196/2003 and (EU) Regulation
2016/679.*