[Lingtyp] Terminology for concessive constructions

William Croft wcroft at unm.edu
Thu Apr 27 13:35:55 UTC 2023

Dear Bastian,

  In Morphosyntax, section 17.3 on conditionals, concessives  and concessive conditionals, I used the terms ‘protasis’ and ‘apodosis’ for the two clauses in all three of those constructions. I follow Comrie (1986) in arguing that the relationship between the events in the two clauses is fundamentally causal (see discussion in that section). The subtypes can be distinguished as ‘conditional protasis’, ‘concessive protasis’, ‘concessive conditional protasis’ etc. if necessary.

  I discuss the fact that the same semantic relation can be expressed in two independent clauses in section 17.5. However, I didn’t discuss terminological usage there. That is mainly because for practical reasons, I did not discuss relations between independent clauses in discourse in Morphosyntax.

Best wishes,
Bill

Comrie, Bernard. 1986. Conditionals: a typology. On conditionals, ed. Elizabeth Closs Traugott, Alice ter Meulen, Judy Snitzer Reilly and Charles A. Ferguson, 77-99. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.

Croft, William. 2022. Morphosyntax: constructions of the world’s languages. (Cambridge Textbooks in Linguistics.) Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.